Re: Travel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on November 27, 2001 at 01:40:42:

In Reply to: Travel posted by d on November 27, 2001 at 00:07:32:

No one else will advise you this way, so my advice will probably be considered to be "off the wall", but I would recommend that you make an attempt to locate a corrugated cardboard carton that was used to ship a large capacity home water heater (from Home Depot, etc.).

Locate some (1" circles) clear plastic air bubble wrap (from a packaging materials store), and wrap up the tuba (ALL OVER) to the point that a determined fist only hits "air" anywhere on the tuba, and your wrapped tuba fits snugly in the water heater box. Cut the box down to a reasonable length (maybe eight inches longer than the tuba) and seal it up well.

Save all of these materials for the return trip.

Manufacturers have learned all too well from experience that shipping large instruments in conventional cases (no matter how "fine" the case might be) is not wise. (I don't think I'd trust my "johnson" in a Johnson.)

;^)

Another QUITE REASONABLE (if convenient) option would be to ship it (in its CASE, no cardboard necessary) via Amtrak one day prior to your own departure. Amtrak (as many have noticed) is in no particular hurry and will not throw your case around. Thus, your case-enclosed tuba is safe with them (perhaps with a bit of air bubble wrap next to the bell flair), IMO, and the cost of shipping will probably be under $40 station-to-station (probably less than some "excess baggage" that some a--h--- airline person might slap you with).

Joe Sellmansberger, (never a tubist, but no longer a tubaist)
tuba player

Follow Ups: