Re: Yamaha YCB 661

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on November 27, 2001 at 20:01:42:

In Reply to: Yamaha YCB 661 posted by Ian Easton on November 27, 2001 at 08:33:46:

I've owned one of these for about a year, so if I leave anything out please let me know.

First of all, it's a bigger tuba than it looks. I haven't had any problems using the horn in quintets, but I've had to be careful not to play over the group. I haven't had problems getting enough (good) sound for band and orchestra, making me think that if you want a small horn for the sound this might not be the tuba for you.

As for the sound quality, I think it's richer and warmer than other 4/4 CC's out there, not too bland like most people say about Yamaha's. I thought the sound was bright and bland the first few notes I blew into the horn, however. It took me an hour or so to get used to the horn. Once I did I never looked back.

The intonation is okay. The C's are pretty good, but the middle G is flat and high G is sharp. They're both lippable, but I usually have to play the F right below the staff with 5 instead of 1 (I have it set up where my first valve is flatter than my fifth).

Btw, the fifth valve on the left hand is annoying, but I got mine converted to a left hand operated one for $200. And before I forget, the valve depression stroke is shorter than most rotaries I've played.

Fair price? I paid $3600 for mine from Matt Walters. Since there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for this particular brand of horn, $4000 seems a bit high, but IMO, you're not going to find a better 4/4 CC for that price. Now the question is, do you want a 4/4 or 3/4 CC?

Scott

Follow Ups: