Re: Re: Re: off topic - help me select a trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on November 28, 2001 at 08:38:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: off topic - help me select a trombone posted by Kenneth Sloan on November 28, 2001 at 00:51:51:

I come from a bass bone player moving up mentality as opposed to a tenor player moving down. I learned on a bass trombone, and have played more bass than tenor. My perspective comes from using the bass bore a majority of the time. In this vein, I found myself looking for a good tenor horn that would not choke me when I play. When I went on my search, I had some people listen to my sound as I played, and most agreed that for me the .547 gave me the better sound. (This was a search for a symphonic sound that had some more warmth, and a little less brashness when playing at a medium level.)

After some searching, I came across a straight yamaha with a .547 bore at Mid South Music. I got the horn with thoughts of eventually adding a thayer or hagmann. I have not done that yet, but I still like the sound that I get.

I admit that I could change the .525 sound by changing mouthpiece set-up, but I found what worked for me.

My experience has been that most bass players have a .547 tenor in thir stock, because of the closeness to the .563 that they usually use. Of course, whatever works for your son might be different.

BTW, I use the Bach 50K3L, with the balanced valves. You don't have to take the bell section of the horn apart to clean the valves. Easier to maintain, IMO.

Good luck.

Tom

Follow Ups: