Re: Questions for HS band instructors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matthew on November 29, 2001 at 00:22:23:

In Reply to: Questions for HS band instructors posted by jared on November 28, 2001 at 18:29:09:

Also, ask your own high school band director about your own district. That always helps to really give you the answers in a context with which you're familiar.

I did this same project for the same occupation. My band director was happy to pull out his papers with his yearly salaries, etc. on them, sharing all of the real numbers with me. One thing he told me about salary was that you have your salary...plus a stipend(s) for things such as marching band and concerts...plus gigs that you play throughout the year...plus he gets a little money playing as a church organist on the side. You really have to look at everything that goes into it, I found out. It's not so simple.

Exact requirements for the job vary by state, as far as college credits and required classes are concerned. I've gotta have 150 semester hours here, where other are a good 15-20 credits lower, I've found out.

I won't say too much on the subject, as I'm not a band director YET. I'll leave the lengthy answers to the real professionals.

Good luck.

Follow Ups: