Re: Questions for HS band instructors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on November 29, 2001 at 12:13:46:

In Reply to: Questions for HS band instructors posted by jared on November 28, 2001 at 18:29:09:

Hope this helps.

1. Bachelor's degree in Arkansa, Missouri, Tennessee and others in the area. There is a strengthening move to go to master's degree as a requirement in the future.
Further training includes continuing education hours (both as in-service training and additonal college classes). 1 science, 1 math, and 1 statistics class was required in my undergraduate degree. 1 statistic class in my graduate school work.

2. $20,000 - $25,000 in my area.

3. $25,000 - 29,000 in my area.

4. I get to work with a big group of student who want to be in the program.
I also get to teach something that I enjoy.
I like to work with kids that have a desire to better themselves musically and moraly.

5. There is a lack of respect in the larger student population.
The parent population does not push for responsibility to be taken by the student
for their actions.
Some school boards and communities lack the desire to suport the band program as
it deserves.

6. If you are really interested in being a band director, Practice and expose yourself to a wide variety of musical forms. Make your district, regional, or all-state band. Get a good scholarship to a good university, and be prepared to work hard. All of these steps will show a university that you are a hard worker that will perform as required.

Once you get to college, work harder. Do what the university sets down for you, and play gigs as much as you can.

Once you get out and get your job, remember the things you loke and dislike about your current band situation. Put into practice the ideas presented in your college classes, and go for the enjoyment found in being a part of creating music as the conductor of the group.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: