Re: Re: Re: Questions for HS band instructors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom again on November 30, 2001 at 10:08:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Questions for HS band instructors posted by Matthew on November 30, 2001 at 00:27:28:

I agree with the more than a semester practice teaching idea. I also like the idea of having to do junior high and beginners in you practice teaching experience.

I spent my practice teaching time in a large school setting where I spent a majority of the time in junior high. (2 campuses) 2 periods beginners, 3 periods of 2nd/3rd year band, and 1 period of high school. In this setting, I soon got the sense of what to do and wher to go in those periods I had continous exposure. In the high school setting, I did not have as much contact with the students, therefore I didn't gain as much as I could have.

I wish I could have spent a semester in each situation, possibly spitting the high school between 2nd half of marching season and 1st half of concert season.

Having a short practice teaching term didn't allow me to dispell the myths of teaching (often taught in college classes) from the realities.

Tom

Follow Ups: