Re: Willson vs. Hirsbrunner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on November 30, 2001 at 21:14:03:

In Reply to: Willson vs. Hirsbrunner posted by John on November 30, 2001 at 19:13:17:

What do you think? It's most important that you buy a horn that you like, not what someone else likes. I bought a used Hirsbrunner standard euphonium with two thoughts in mind: 1, I could sell it and get my money back if I found a horn I liked better and 2, it seemed to me at the time to be the best euph on the market. So what happened? I like my Hirsbrunner, but I tried a Sterling and it made me want to run over my Hirsbrunner with a car. At least I got the Hirsbrunner used, so when I finally get around to going to Custom and trying the Sterlings they have in stock (and I'll try to get my hands on the Miraphones and Meinl-Westons as well).

Just in case you cannot go out and try out horns, I will answer your original question to the best of my ability. I've found that as a general trend that Hirsbrunners tend to be more free-blowing and fuller, especially in the lower register. The two don't even compare, if you want a big, open horn get the Hirsbrunner. The Willson has a darker sound, though, which is harder to get from the Hirsbrunner. On the few horns I've played, the intonation was better on the Willsons as well. Which is better? Personally, I want the Sterling that one of my section mates has.

Scott

Follow Ups: