Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Catherine on December 01, 2001 at 09:16:16:

In Reply to: Gross injustices posted by College Professor on November 25, 2001 at 19:48:02:

I'm a little late in coming in to this conversation, but, here goes anyway... I teach chemistry at the college/univeristy level. Do music majors really suffer more than my students suffer? I don't think so, actually. My guys (includes "girls") usually have to take at least two and often 3 lab courses per term, and in upper division may be taking four at the same time. The lab component is 1 credit. This means they are in lab for 3 or 4 hours per course per week, and I question whether they are "learning" during that time. Once done with this committment, they then must write a formal report, which seems to average another 3-5 hours per lab. So you are looking at just about the same injustice that a music major faces. My guys don't usually get the endorphin rush that a good practice session or performance session can bring, though.

In re taking more time to graduate ... it's the responsibility of the student first, and his/her advisor second, to watch the credits earned vs credits needed to graduate balance sheet. Any junior or senior who is surprised to find they haven't met the degree requirements has only him/herself to blame for that one. All departments have very clear, written and freely available statements about their degree requirements.

Follow Ups: