Re: Perspective

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dotgonner on November 05, 2002 at 23:30:17:

In Reply to: Perspective posted by Downsized on November 05, 2002 at 17:34:58:

I've been laid off three times in the last two years. I'm 54. Each time it gets worse, the sense of are my skills relevant, what did I do that caused this, was it fair. Friends and family seem to ask their own questions after a time, kind of the "this guy can't hold a job" feeling. The one thing that really didn't help was taking a new job quickly, and not having really worked through the issues when I got laid off by the next downsizing. I had three months before my current job, and it was a good chance to take stock of my priorities, and consider other options, get my life on track with some of the objectives I had 20-30 years ago. I'm actually in better shape emotionally now than when the dotcoms were going strong. I had a bout with depression for a while, without realizing it, and what really got me through it was keeping the daily routine, riding my
bike 20 miles a day, practicing my tuba, vacuuming the house, cooking, etc. Heck, if my
wife had a better job, I would have just stayed home full time. I spent a lot of time
mailing out resumes and responding to ads for jobs, but none of those helped for any of
the jobs I found. Networking and posting my resume on a jobs bbs found each one. Anyway, good luck, and keep practicing that tuba.

Follow Ups: