Re: Re: being a pro.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by atlanta tuba dad on November 07, 2002 at 09:41:49:

In Reply to: Re: being a pro. posted by Graham W. on November 07, 2002 at 00:53:01:

Whatever you do, do it for yourself. If playing tuba gives you pleasure, then it may be something you want to consider as a career but don't do it because someone said you should "be a pro."

In my view, the vast majority of professional musicians (of any ilk) started playing because of a love for music, not for the potential for earnings or employment. If you attain an exceptional level of skill, the opportunities to go "pro" will likely present themselves. Still, it would be wise to learn another set of more easily marketable skills in case your professional music career doesn't come to pass.

You've received some truly excellent advice from the posters to this thread.

Graham wrote:

> The following summer, I tricked...er..convinced my parents to get me a CB-50.

Nice of Graham to take the "blame", but to be accurate it was his father (me) who first came up with the idea of getting him his own horn. Graham just helped me to understand that a quality horn was a better idea (and would hold its value better) than a cheap but serviceable one. My intent in buying him a horn was to encourage him to continue with the instrument, as Dave Z. and others had indicated that Graham had some talent for it. I do applaud Graham's pursuit of a dual major path, which was indeed completely his decision.

> Graham "who still may transfer from a liberal arts school to a wonderful music school" W.

Since Graham is taking advantage of a tuition-free courtesy scholarship (because his mom is a long-time employee of the university he attends), he's dreaming!! 8-)

Follow Ups: