Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tracy B. on November 10, 2002 at 04:34:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner Tubas posted by Rick Denney on November 10, 2002 at 03:37:51:

I am only speaking from personal experience, but I believe that the quality of craftmanship and materials are of somewhat higher quality than many of its rivals. All the Hirsbrunners I had a chance to examine were in top condition, even after a couple of decades of heavy use. Maybe this is due owners protecting what is a large investment, but I think that is true of most tuba owners. I wholeheartedly agree with you reasoning about Hirsbrunner marketing scheme and I pointed that out it my original post. You gave a better explanation than I did. As with most things, you pay the most for reputation and hope that the reputation is warranted. I have found that with Hirsbrunner, it is. However, I do believe that they can be overpriced. I don't understand all the economics of it, but it sounds like you do.
Nirschl and Willson are comparable in quality to Hirsbrunner, but I have ran into problems with some of the others you mentioned. Mostly consistancy...ie solder joints, tuning, VALVES, silver plating...etc. Let me be clear with statement. This is only my personal experience and opinion. Like I said before, I like the Willsons and I think they are a better value.

Tracy "who wishes all tubas were cheaper" Bedgood

Follow Ups: