Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reply to Barry Guerrero

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on November 11, 2002 at 17:39:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reply to Barry Guerrero posted by Rick Denney on November 11, 2002 at 15:16:18:

I must say that I do like Norrington's "Pastoral", and I do like his quicker tempi for the "Eroica". Check out Hermann Scherchen's old 50's VPO "Eroica" someday - that's the quickest one I know of.

Anyway, I agree with what you're saying. I'm just questioning the use of smaller tubas on works that require (or to be more precise, benefit from) something closer to a BAT, is all. As you know, this can be a complex question. In Bruckner, I believe using a bass tuba works perfectly fine in the 4th symphony ("Romantic"), and possibly just as well in the 5th and 6th symphonies too. However, there are definite benefits in using a contrabass tuba in the last three symphonies - not least of which is putting a round bottom on the Wagner tuben chorales. In the 8th, the tessitura is markedly lower than in many of the other Bruckner symphonies. I'm sure you know all of this.

It's often times argued that the "Rite of Spring" should be played on F tubas, but I really question that thought for the 2nd tuba part. I've heard the Rite played on F tubas, and I found the low register bits really difficult to hear from out in the audience. I think that the ideal thing would be for the 2nd player to use two tubas, if he/she has trouble with their high register chops on a contrabass.

The big Prokofiev works really require a big BBb or CC tuba. The tuba is often times treated as a big super-bass to the orchestra, and this is one area where I think that John Fletcher really shined in. He was simply awesome in the big Prokofiev works that he recorded with Andre Previn: Alexander Nevsky; 5th symphony; Romeo & Julliet; Cinderella.

Fletch is also a monster on the Mahler "Resurrection" with Leopold Stokowski (RCA). That one just blows me away. Raymond Premru kicks butt on bass trombone as well.

Barry "thanks for the interesting conversation" Guerrero

Follow Ups: