Re: Info on Conn 5Js???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Whitlow on November 13, 2002 at 13:24:44:

In Reply to: Info on Conn 5Js??? posted by Al on November 11, 2002 at 16:25:09:

Al,

I purchased a Conn 5J from Matt Walters at Dillon's last February/March. I really like my horn. I currently play in a brass quintet and feel it performs very well in that capacity. I have to disagree somewhat with other posters about the horn's usefulness in a larger ensemble. I think it projects well and could be effectively used in a wind ensemble setting.

Of the horns you mentioned, I played a Miraphone 186 in college. I don't think the 5J projects quite as well as it did. Nonetheless, I really enjoy the horn and am well-satisfied with its tone quality, playability, etc.

Intonation-wise: Db and D in the staff are played with the lower octave fingerings (open and 2nd valve are flat for my horn), I have to lip second space C up a little. E down to B natural (all below pedal f) are a bit sharp and require pulling the first valve slide.

Overall, I think it is a good horn at a reasonably modest price. Sorry I can't compare it to the other horns you mentioned. My suggestion would be to call Matt Walters at Dillon's Music and talk to him about the horns. He was very helpful/knowledgeable when I worked with him last year. Best of luck!

Josh

Josh

Follow Ups: