Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anonymous German Eb Fanfare Helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 14, 2002 at 16:29:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anonymous German Eb Fanfare Helicon posted by Joe Baker on November 14, 2002 at 15:31:23:

No need to be jealous--the explanation is quite prosaic. Our quintet trombone player is going to be playing a jazz gig (I think it may even be a cruise gig) for a couple of weeks, and rather than cancel our rehearsals, I suggested that we invite our tuba backup player to cover the tuba parts (which I already know) and I would cover the trombone parts. The guy leaving for the gig owns the instrument. It's a little opportunity to stretch out, but I would not call it a gig.

But that doesn't mean I want to humiliate myself, despite repeated evidence to the contrary.

I have a 3G in a bass trombone shank that I didn't like on euphonium because it sounded too trombone-like (and because it was quite flat on my Besson--the bigger Wicks are actually up to pitch and have a sound I will tolerate). I just didn't want to buy one for this horn if would be a disaster. I'll see if the local guys have a 3G in a tenor shank.

Back to the 90G: I don't quite recall and I'm not sure I could tell in Klaus's catalog scan, but there may be a brace between the leadpipe and the bell. The screw connection did not appear to be soldered. Unsoldering the brace would be trivial.

In looking at Klaus's scan, however, it appears that the bell section isn't of full length, but that would really surprise me.

Rick "no threat to any actual trombone player" Denney

Follow Ups: