Re: what is better choice in horns?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Clouse on November 16, 2002 at 10:00:17:

In Reply to: what is better choice in horns? posted by Jim on November 15, 2002 at 19:06:31:

Someone previously posted a question that I would like to bring up again. Why do you need a bigger horn? Is it pressure from the "bigger is better" community?

I am a fellow miraphone player, and I find that the horn willing to go anywhere I take it, sonically speaking. When I need the big volume to keep up with the trombones in orchestra, I pull out a big mouthpiece such as the PT88. I use a smaller mouthpiece when I'm hitting the quintet stuff more.

If you know that you need to sell the 186 to get the next big horn, consider the trade-off you're making. Miraphones are the "vanilla" of tubas. They are everywhere, can do practically anything, but aren't really specialized at anything in particular. In general they are very well-tuned instruments, fairly consistent from horn to horn, and responsive in all registers. Basically, they are the perfect "college tuba" because they don't lock you into one kind of playing.

(If your horn isn't a good horn, or has some issues in tuning, then feel free to take this with a grain of salt.)

You may want to ask if you are giving up more than you are getting. Do you know that the bigger horn will suit your future playing needs better? Are you willing to put more time in tuning notes? If you can asnwer confidently that you'll get more than you're giving up, then go for it.

Dan

Follow Ups: