Re: what is better choice in horns?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark J on November 17, 2002 at 09:57:08:

In Reply to: what is better choice in horns? posted by Jim on November 15, 2002 at 19:06:31:

Better Choice?

This is my humble opinion...

I've played the same horn for over 30 years. I was able to purchase it from my private instructor just before I went to college for music performance/education. While at college, the Tuba professor advised me to begin the process of 1. practicing 2. practicing more, 3. learning, 4. learning more, 5. listening, 6. listening more, and then, and only then, looking for a Tuba which could fullfill my practicing, learning, listening and purchasing desires. He advised that I should never put my faith eniterly in a "name" brand. Forst, I should get to know my instrument. He played it, he said it was a good intstrument and I should learn all I can about it. When it didn't play for me the way I thought it could, he taught me that it was probably my problem and not the horns. I listened to what he said. Through college, i learned about the horn, and myself. I learned that as long as WE worked together, there was no part we couldn't play. I learned there was no solo we couldn't perform and there was absolutely no situation where we couldn't "fit in". My instrument was built around the turn of the last century. 1900 or so. I've learned that it has been completely overhauled at least twice, by previous players (owners). I was personally advised by a nationally know repair tech that this instrument had reached the end of its useful lifespan and I should enjoy (treasure) its remaining days. yes, it could break at anytime and that is why I am just now looking for a new horn. I am not comparing brands. I've played most thru the year. I'm not comparing the situations I play in. One instrument, in the right hands, fits in for more that 90 percent of what it is called upon to do. What I am looking for is a partner in my playing life. Because that is how I look at the last 30 years. WE were a team. I believe that my horn knew me as well as I knew it. So my advise is to find a "partner" in your playing. Don't spend time looking for that instrument which you think will transform you into what you what to be. They are not out there. You can pruchase to feel good. You can "compare" until you are blue in the face, or just lost completely. Find a "partner". In the final run, you work as a team.

Follow Ups: