Re: Cerveney Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on November 17, 2002 at 23:15:53:

In Reply to: Cerveney Eb posted by Eb Player on November 17, 2002 at 20:40:08:

I have an older Amati rotary Eb, Measurements and apperence match the 641 (but I'm sure there are some differences somewhere), but here's what I think about my horn:
Great overall sound. Very lively tone, just sings in the upper end, and blends REALLY well with both trombones, and euphoniums. The low register, ehh...Just like most 'german F' tubas. Gets stuffy around low Db, opens back up around Bb or A. Low register seems to respond best when I don't think about playing it, and just hear what I want, keep a strong and solid airflow, and it happens (note I didn't say 'make it happen')
Responce seems very mouthpiece sensetive. I've tried a Bach 24AW (not bad at all), Dillon H1 (great low end, slow responce time), Conn Helleburg (don't even try it), Schilke Helleburg 2F (great up high), PT64 (this IS the mouthpiece), PT65 (not too bad, kinda liked the 24AW better) and fooled around with a Bach 1G (bass bone). The 1G is fun to use on the horn when I play 2nd euph parts in tuba quartets, but as a bass tuba, I'm now using the PT64. It made a world of different in the playing of the horn compared to the 65, the sound is much more consitant, intonation is more accurate, and low register is easier to focus.

Overall, I really like my horn. It gives me mostly what I wanted in my small horn, and I think when I spend more time with it, it will give me nearly, if not, everything, I want out of it. When I got it, I was not wanting something to take the place of my CC, I wanted a small horn for chamber groups and solo lit. And I didn't want once of those BIG F's or Eb's that look and sound like a small CC (my only problem with the Besson 983 was it sounded too much like my CC). If I wanted that sound, I'd have gotten something like a Conn 3J or Yamaha YCB-621, and saved the trouble of learning new fingerings.
Well, I don't know if you wanted a full review, but there it is
Good luck finding that horn for you
Steve C

Follow Ups: