Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra tuning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bonehead #3 on November 18, 2002 at 19:49:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Orchestra tuning posted by Lonny on November 18, 2002 at 07:28:26:

the A is not what you tune to...it's the D above it (and below if you are playing a double-valve set-up) that should be the focus of your attention. With an in-tune A drone below you, the consonant 4th above should be fairly easy to hear, but you must remember to let the D be a little flat because it lies in the 5th partial and that is mechanically supposed to be flat! With the Double-Valve Bass Trombone set-up, one can depress both valves and play low D...which should be perfectly in tune (that partial is the sole purpose of even having the cumbersome 2nd valve).

I agree completely with whoever made the statement about valves compromising sound. Imagine the air going through a straight horn. Now imagine it going through the same horn, but with a valve attached to and extra slide (which more than likely contains some nasty 90 degree turn). Now if you play bass trombone (which the example does) then double that (especially if it's an independent configuration...which I don't like at all...but hey, I know some people that sound great on them...)

Follow Ups: