Re: Re: Just curious

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 19, 2002 at 16:20:49:

In Reply to: Re: Just curious posted by sure 'bout that? on November 19, 2002 at 16:06:37:

Fred Young suggested that the dimensionless ratios can be scaled linearly. One such ratio is bore/bell diameter, another one is mouthpiece/bore diameter, and still another one is mouthpiece diameter to bugle length. For a tuba, the first ratio might be .038, the second 1.7, and the third .0060 (for a typical 3/4" bore, 20" bell, 18' bugle BBb tuba). Applying those to a Bb instrument, the bugle length is 9 feet, which would imply a mouthpiece diameter of .65", a bore diameter of .38", and a bell of 10".

This sounds much more like a Wagner tuba than a euphonium!

Going the other way, the typical traditional euphonium would scale up to a tuba with a 2" mouthpiece, a 1.2" bore, and a 22" bell. Only the bell comes close.

Of course, the other dimensionless ratios would be relevant, too, including mouthpiece volume/instrument volume, length of straight bore to overall length, and so on. I made my selection just for fun.

Of course, whether or not this has anything to do with a euphonium being properly called a tenor tuba, I won't say.

Rick "who thinks a tuba scaled on a euphonium would be mighty hard to play" Denney

Follow Ups: