Re: HB-6 (AT) Baltimore Brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on November 19, 2002 at 21:55:28:

In Reply to: HB-6 (AT) Baltimore Brass posted by Jim on November 18, 2002 at 22:49:21:

Hello all,
I wanted to comment on this instrument, and hopefully clear up some possible misunderstanding and misinformation. It was in my shop one day last week, as I was doing extensive repairs on an F tuba for a customer who had gotten this instrument on approval from The Baltimore Brass. The customer asked me to look it over, and tell him what I thought of it.
I have play-tested a new Hirsbrunner HB-6, back in 1989, and thought it was one outstanding instrument, every bit as good as the Rudolf Meinl 5/4 CC I owned at the time.
The Hirsbrunner I saw last week was in good condition for its age, not pristine, but still a solid instrument. The 3rd and 4th rotors have had the direction of travel reversed, an aftermarket ball-and socket linkage has been fabricated and installed using Mirafone stop arms, and whoever did it did a good job. Most of the finish is NOT missing. The bell has had a minor crease repaired, but the instrument has been obviously professionally maintained, and as I remember, over 95% of the silver is basically intact.
When I quoted a $2,000.00 figure to my customer, that was not to get it to proper playing condition. If the instrument were here now, I could take it to a gig tonight, as-is, and it would sound and look great. I quoted $2,000.00 to get original Hirsbrunner parts from Switzerland, through Custom Music, and return it to mechanically like-new condition. Would all that be necessary to play and enjoy it? No. I felt that the rotor bearings were just a tiny little bit loose, but it is a very routine job to swedge and re-fit them to like-new tolerances, and I was being picky. Mr. Fedderly and I have communicated about the instrument already, and I'm confident that that issue has already been addressed by now. Baltimore Brass has a fine repair shop.
I believe that whoever gets this instrument will have a very solid, dependable instrument in all octaves, and will find that it particularly has a better high range than most CC tubas of any size.
I did discuss with the customer what I'd be willing to pay for it, but that was as a business that must resell it for a profit, not as an individual looking to buy a tuba. I sincerely apologize if anything I said to the customer was misleading. This instrument might not be my first choice for my all-time favorite instrument, and I did not think it the best horn for him, either, but it might be the best horn for you. Everyone needs to make decisions like this based largely on how it works for them, not on opinions of others.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: