Re: Finishes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on November 20, 2002 at 08:12:11:

In Reply to: Finishes posted by Collin on November 19, 2002 at 18:38:09:

Different finishes, and different metals do make a difference in sound, and as you can see from the other posts, personal preferences vary widely as to what is "better".
Silver-plating is measured in microns, and is extremely thin these days, unless someone was able to specifically order a triple-, or quadruple-plated instrument like York used to do. This does not indicate that the instrument was plated more than once, but to the length of time it spent in the plating vat. Today's silver plating is very nearly like playing a raw brass instrument. Lacquer, on the other hand, is much thicker and is now considered by some industry professionals to be more durable than silver plating. Lacquer that is as thick as the metal itself, particularly on the bell flare where it is lacquered on both sides, will surely have a damping effect. When playing lead trombone, I have preferred using a silver plated instrument, a Blessing tenor that I fixed up, because of the penetrating tone quality and ease of playing in the upper register. When playing tuba, I have felt that "darker is better", and I prefer a lacquered brass instrument. You also mentioned red, or rose brass. That is not a finish, but a different alloy, which has a higher copper content, is more corrosion resistant, and is softer. Rose brass, also known as gold brass or goldmessing in German, is more expensive, and really makes an instrument respond easier, particularly at lower dynamic levels. However, it is also easier to overblow, and does not have the same qualities of projection that a yellow brass instrument does. This can be at least partially overcome by increasing the bore size. I have a Thein bass trombone from Germany that is all rose brass & nickel-silver. Due to the metal, I can play a low b-natural at a true pianissimo. To ensure that it would put out enough sound, I had them build it with the largest bell and slide dimensions available and lacquer it. The resulting instrument will belt out the sound with no tendency to break up. The new Mirafone 181 seems to be built with the same concept in mind, a goldbrass F with an enormous bore. Which metal/finish is best? You be the judge.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: