Re: Re: Re: Seeking advice on protecting the shine

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erica on November 22, 2002 at 12:49:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Seeking advice on protecting the shine posted by Rick Denney on November 21, 2002 at 16:32:31:

The horn was a gift from my husband who thought he was being super sweet. Bless his heart as he knows nothing about horns, saw New, BBb and silver and a price we could afford; all things he's heard me ranting about for a while now.

Whether I'm lucky or not, I've found the horn is playable and after some TLC is working fine for me. The range is good, the upper registers seem to have a better sound. Overall it's a nice LOOKING horn, but looks can be deceiving.

The horn was dead dry when I got it and needed a lot of oil and grease but now that i'ts been done and played for a while it's the same as any other horn. One slide is a little tighter then is probably needed. I've had no issues with leakage or anything else. I am also new to the world of rotary valves so this has been a learning experience for care and proper operation of the instrument.

I suppose for tubist like me who are on a fairly restrictive budget it's an ok starter horn, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more then that or the kid who isn't sure he really WANTS to be a tuba player. It's still my first own horn, so I'll probably hang onto it for senitmental value regardless of what I do or buy in the future.

The horn itself is pretty light, I have way to weigh it to give you the specifics. I've included a picture of the horn in case. It's not a very good image, I can't get a good contrast for photographing it. But if anyone wants a better look drop me an email and I'll take some more.

-Erica

Follow Ups: