Re: New Embouchure Strengthening Tool

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Elliott on November 23, 2002 at 22:14:19:

In Reply to: New Embouchure Strengthening Tool posted by Liemar Technologies on November 21, 2002 at 19:04:14:

I saw these at the Trombone Workshop last summer. I don't have an opinion about them.

One of my teachers, Don Reinhardt, who wrote "The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" and knew more about brass playing than ANYBODY, in my opinion, taught "the Pencil Trick", which was exactly the same thing using a pencil, with much more specific instructions as to exactly how to do it. Just like buzzing without the mouthpiece, HOW you do it is more imnportant than anything else. Too much of it can be very bad, but the right amount, done absolutely correctly, is extremely valuable.

With TOTALLY WET LIPS, put a pencil end in your normal embouchure, against your top teeth, sticking straight out. TRY to hold it in that position, against your teeth, even though it is slippery and wants to droop or fall out. A few seconds of trying, erven if you can't hold it, is all it takes. ANY MORE IS TOO MUCH. A short pencil might be a good way to start.

Follow Ups: