Re: Levels of Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ted on November 24, 2002 at 23:50:28:

In Reply to: Levels of Playing posted by Collin on November 23, 2002 at 19:18:35:

A wise (and somewhat surly, but we love him anyway) band director once told me there are only two musical skills that are really important: tone, and reading. Reading, because you need to be able to sight-read to be an effective gigging player. And tone, because if you sound like $#!7 then nobody will want to listen to you, no matter how quick your fingers are.
Bottom line, sound is everything.
HOWEVER! Don't get discouraged just because you haven't developed your sound yet. It takes practice but there is a beautiful, open tone inside everyone just waiting to get out. You may need to work out some problems with breathing, embouchure, etc. before you get that beautiful sound, and that's something that a private teacher will really help you with.
I didn't find my sound until my last year of high school, but I have every intention of making it as a professional now that I'm in my second year of university. There's no rule that says you need to be this good by the time you're in 10th grade, and this good by the time you're in first year university, or else you won't make it. (There are tendencies, but not rules). All that matters is that you work hard and don't give up.
Good luck,
Ted

Follow Ups: