Re: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Elvig on November 28, 2002 at 01:57:48:

In Reply to: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit? posted by Theory-schmeory on November 27, 2002 at 15:37:20:

Not too long ago, I had commented in a post that notes below EEb were not very common. Wouldn't you know, since then I've seen several pieces in Brass Band with DD and DDb, and we've been reading through a lot of music in our Tuba-Euphonium ensemble where those same notes are popping up regularly (I play the Tuba 2 part). An arrangement of Toccata and Fugue we just looked at has the Tuba 2 part dropping to the DD in eigth notes through some intervals, so it's not like you get to wind up for a big ol' watermellon.

So, I've revised my view on this a bit. I think it is useful to develop a solid low register down to at least the DDb if you're playing BBb in either a good British Brass Band or Tuba-Euphonium ensemble. And, I think you're going to see those notes in quite a few quintet arrangements as well.

Although, I do tend to agree with your point that, if it's not there for a player, with a little musical sensitivity, it's usually possible to play up an octave and still blend in nicely.

Tony E

Follow Ups: