Re: Re: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on November 28, 2002 at 19:54:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What's the lowest non-pedal you can hit? posted by Jude on November 28, 2002 at 12:51:59:

no arguements about practicing to attain facility at 100% of what is ever asked of us.

I didn't have you pro's out there who make your living on the tuba in mind when I was typing, and was really speaking more to the machismo back-row types, and my point was that MOST of the "how low can you play"-types cannot even determine the actual pitch of the sound coming out of their horns that low, let alone produce extremely low written notes on demand. In those cases discretion IS the better part of valor, and a note sounded well is quite often preferred to one that is indeterminate and (dare I suggest) bordering on flatulent simply because "thats what's written"

There are always reasons to be preparedoutside of the normal ranges of our instrument, in this case, to be able to approach and confidently nail that DDD or DDD-flat. But just as importantly there are never valid reasons for ill-informed, poor attempts at the same notes, without the capability to do it right, simply because "thats what's written."

IN my part of the country, the community groups invariably have people who elect on their own to play an octave lower simply "because it sounds cool." Personally, I don't think thats cool at all, except perhaps when I choose to do it. Perhaps its a pet peeve of mine, and hence the theory-schmeory comments. And honestly, conductors of any paid gigs I've had never asked for an octave lower ... perhaps because it was apparent I didn't practice them all the time, eh Jude? ;^}

Rgds,

Dale

Follow Ups: