Re: Re: Re: Chicago/Bernstein/Shosty 7

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on November 30, 2002 at 16:27:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Chicago/Bernstein/Shosty 7 posted by Chuck Jackson on November 30, 2002 at 14:24:15:

Well Chuck, you may not agree with this, but I think that Previn's rapid fire tempo for the third movement is completely wrong headed. I just don't care for it. All of the Russian conductors, with the possible exception of Mravinsky (who still isn't nearly as fast as Previn), take that movement much slower. While his rapid tempo catches the manic quality of the music, it misses the more desolate, mechanical, totally impersonal quality that I believe is an equally important component of what the music is conveying. In other words, it's really almost more frightening at a slower tempo. Perhaps that's because the Russians may feel that the piece is as much about Stalin and his henchmen, as it is about battling the nazis. I don't know. For me, the Rudolf Barshai 8th is really great, but a surprisingly great sleeper is the Andrew Litton/Dallas S.O. (Delos), with Matt Good sounding every bit as big as "Fletch" (who does sound great!). Just one person's opinion.

Barry

Follow Ups: