Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on December 01, 2002 at 12:28:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verdi Requiem posted by Long posting on December 01, 2002 at 02:36:19:

Klaus, you misunderstand--as the creator and artist of the photo, I've decreed that it must be viewed while one is standing on one's head. You have corrupted my artwork!

Enough of the silliness.

Thus far, I've been using a Bach 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece with this instrument, which I think is not totally incorrect for it. I've considered changing the receiver to a bass-shank model, but I think that the sound could be compromised. I note that Terry Warburton and a few other mouthpiece manufacturers can fit a tenor shank to a large bass trombone cup, but I wonder if this is the right idea. I'll try a Bach 3, but I'd love to see an original mouthpiece for one of these things--I suspect that it would be quite shallow.

With its current small mouthpiece, the intonation is pretty good. The low Bb and A are quite sharp, but easily lipped down. The high register sings with a sound that's somewhere between a bugle and a trombone. And when pushed, it has the buzz-saw snarl of a nasty trombone. Totally un-tuba like.

But I think our F tuba poster has a valid point. I think this horn would be overwhelmed by a section of modern trombones.

Follow Ups: