Re: Re: Re: silver bugle horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 02, 2003 at 23:48:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: silver bugle horn posted by Adam on November 02, 2003 at 15:07:27:

I have seen production models that were pretty beat up sell for $1,500, but that was when DCI was still only allowing bugles on the field. Since becoming Marching Brass Band International, these have a much lower value, as the newer arrangers in the activity would not know how to work with the older instruments (Whaddaya mean it ain't got a low Bb??)

It is a shame, as the K-90's played and sounded like real tubas; they felt like Chevy's on your shoulder, however.

Our eight prototypes (Sky Ryders' brass man John Simpson was the driving force in getting King to make this instrument, and we had the prototypes. They were a set of 8 King 2134's purchased from Hutchinson High School.) were a bit larger and heavier and had nice intonation. But they were dreadfully heavy and fragile (under-braced) and were all different from one another. I think that King made 8 slightly different versions in order to guinea pig us for faster test results, and one of these 8 did not play as well as the other seven. Mine was the longest and had valves at the most severe angle. One was quite a bit more front-heavy than the others. But they were all beautiful instruments with warm, fat sounds.

I would easily pay double the going rate to buy my old protptype from whomever now owns it. It was one of the best ones. I got to camp really early and play-tested all of them and picked it as the second best. An non-rookie came in the next day and took the best one, so I got it instead; it was a gas to play and I would love to own it. Ah well . . . it was a rare bird, indeed.

Wade "It is a useless horn, but I covet it nonetheless!" Rackley

Follow Ups: