Re: On the cheap

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on November 03, 2003 at 07:37:50:

In Reply to: On the cheap posted by David on November 02, 2003 at 04:07:12:

Thanks to those who responded.

I spent many years perfecting the "world class" sound only to find out that I do not take auditions well. Play great, audition lousy.

My son knew me as a jobbing musician. My daughter knows me as a full time daddy. I wish I could back up with my son. I can't do that so spend great amounts of time with him on the phone.

I spent all the money I wanted on accessories and instruments and still do. I spend the money now more as an avocation than as a career. Solo playing is much more satisfying now than sitting in a group where I think the conductor is an ***hole, and most that I worked with were. I play with guys and gals whose company and playing abilities I enjoy. I don't take jobs just for the money anymore.

Being a "professional" means so much more than being in one of the name brand orchestras. I know "amateurs" who play better than the pros but who don't want the lifestyle.

It is my opinion we need to change the way we look at and think of players, both amateur and professional. Is the person who enjoys music any less a player than the person who sits in a major orchestra? We can strive to be the best we can without criticizing the other guy. I may not be able to play in a major orchestra, but I can enjoy my practice time or community band, or brass quintet, or tuba quartet, or ...... I don't even have to beat myself up because I can't play in one of those orchestras for whatever the reason.

Thanks for letting me unload.

Follow Ups: