Re: Euphonium Jobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on November 03, 2003 at 15:12:28:

In Reply to: Euphonium Jobs posted by L on November 01, 2003 at 17:17:26:

Okay, so the military is the #1 employer of musicians, period.

Euphonium jobs are rare right now. There are few of us breaking into the college teaching arena. Adam Frey is making it as a euphonium soloist. He has a tenacious attitude, plus some financial support. That is a great combination to get a business going. There are other jobs coming in the future. I'm trying to create a few. I've been inspired by Harvey Phillips, Brian Bowman and others. They've sacrificed to promote the "well-being" of their instruments. Euphoniums are still young in the music world, so we have to make our niche. WE ARE A PART OF MUSIC HISTORY. When young musicians go to school and study music education and/or euph/tuba performance, who will they be studying as the leaders of this generation? Who will be the Bell, Phillips, Perantoni, Self, Jacobs of the euphonium? So far we have a solid leader in Dr. Brian Bowman, but who is there to take the reigns? Who are the young leaders that are going to promote the instrument like Harvey Phillips did the tuba? Who is going to take the temporary pain of being on financially shaky ground to get the horn some respect? Who is it that is going to get new music written for us by established and respected composers?

Say what you want about Adam, but he's doing that. I'm trying, although only time will tell if I will actually put up or shut up. I know there are others out there. Demondrae is killer... but I'm not going to name any more people right now... I'll forget someone and piss people off.

Unless I have a financial disaster in my life, I will not be auditioning for any military band slots or taking a spot in the active duty military either. I loved my job, but for now and the foreseeable future, I am committed to creating some jobs for us.

Now, in addition to taking a poll of what other jobs are out there for euph, we really need to be asking what the possibilities are for getting some new jobs created.

Thanks for the rant time.

Best,

Alan Herold

Follow Ups: