Re: Compare MW2145 to Getzon G50

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on November 03, 2003 at 21:13:24:

In Reply to: Compare MW2145 to Getzon G50 posted by Debbie on November 03, 2003 at 15:19:50:

I own one, and have played on both.

Dale is right, the Getzen will be more consistent in workmanship. If the fifth valve has a black plastic linkage, though, get that replaced. The Getzen tends to play VERY sharp on the 4th line F in the staff. But since the slides are very fluid when taken care of, it's not hard at all to pull when needed. Also, the Getzen is very 'lippable.' I can play a low B natural open (what would normally be a C). So the sharp first valve notes can be easily fixed. The fifth valve is very flexible, assuming you have both slide extenders.

The 2145 is a good horn. I t ahs a BIG sound for its size, but I found intonation to be harder to control. It is ver "open" feeling, probably due to the wrap of the tubing and the larger bore than the Getzen. But the wrap makes the slides more prone to accidents. I did not care for the feel of the valves, nor the placement of the thumb ring and 5th valve trigger. It is lighter than the Getzen.

I don't know what deals you got, so I won't comment on price. I think the Getzen is worth the extra $$.

The Getzen has never steered me wrong, even with my (limited) ability. I'd probably say the same thing about the 2145, though.

The Getzen will draw more curious looks and questions, due to the size of the bell and the squattiness of the horn. It is one of the more unique-looking horns out there.

I hope that's answered your question.

Doug

Follow Ups: