Re: When students should buy a horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on November 05, 2003 at 02:18:39:

In Reply to: When students should buy a horn posted by Doug Whitten on November 03, 2003 at 22:33:47:

I would think that if they wanted to study tuba in college they would have tried to get their own instrments by the time they we're done with high school. I got a job in high school specifically to purchase my own tuba since the Conn 12J, 3/4 kings, and old king recorders were all in terrible shape and i felt i needed a larger bore horn. I also wanted a Yamaha silver plate sousaphone, but buying that was specifically for fun. Too bad mom sold it for a new jacuzzi-tub last year. She took only $1000 for it and it was in mint. I worked so hard to get the $4500 for it. Ohh well... Live and learn.

Sorry to get off topic. Your students should really think about getting a side job to buy their own horns. Even if they just SAVE they can get one within a year or less. At least something decent new or used. Or they could find a deal on a beater miraphone and invest $1500 into getting it overhauled. I just don't think they are that serious if they don't have their own tubas.

Follow Ups: