Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I don't think... on November 05, 2003 at 09:00:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers posted by Primary tool? on November 05, 2003 at 01:34:38:

...that anyone here disputes the fact that breath control is an extremely important part of commanding your instrument. However, to make a blanket statement like js has, of course, is ludicrous. Also, I believe it is way too simplistic to say as Sean does that "the person who plays the best gets the job." I think that once Sean has competed in 25-30 high level auditions (a hard thing to do on tuba, to be sure), he might change his tune. By the way..I heard a story recently of a bass trombone player being by far the best player at an audition, but not getting the job because the conductor didn't like what he was wearing...

Anyway, lets say that there's an audition for the XYZ Symphony Orchestra, and three people are in the finals...1965's Arnold Jacobs, 1975's Chester Schmitz, and 1985's Warren Deck. All play note perfect auditions, with valid musical interpretations. Who will win? The conductor might like the bouyancy of Jacobs' sound, or the beautiful tone and circular breathing of Chester Schmitz, or the sheer rock-like solidity of Warren Deck's approach. Discuss...

Follow Ups: