Re: tuba rating chart ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on November 07, 2003 at 19:52:35:

In Reply to: tuba rating chart ??? posted by js on November 07, 2003 at 10:02:33:

Reading opinions on all kind of tubas is interesting reading, even if one has to qualify the opinions written by ones knowledge about the players writing. Such opinions should be available to the tuba community, even if any written opinion on playability and, to some degree intonation, bear the marks of subjectivity. One obvious sample of divide of opinions is the matter of compensating instruments. I most certainly am a proponent of that system, if the compensation feature has been well integrated in an overall instrument design well suited to it. We see such designs in the best euphoniums and Eb tubas (I yet have to try an equally good compensating BBb tuba). Other players trying out compensating instruments only can come up with one sort of stuff from their box of descriptions: "Stuffy stuffiness!"

In disagreement with a previous poster on this thread I really find, that such sort of information belongs on this fine billboard, the finest on low conical brass topics, which I have been happy to stumble over so far. I understand the tired faces of some other regulars of this board, but I allow myself to ascribe this tiredness to two factors:

a lack of ability to skip threads, which bear the marks of redundancy for the reader in question

a laziness by people posting questions. If they spent the minor effort of searching the archives, they would avoid presenting so much deadwood to the board. Of course their questions should be welcomed very much, when they had been narrowed down and focused by a little private wood-shedding in the archives.

Some have a vast knowledge on the topic of tubas. A very few are bestowed with a confidence, that they know at lot on the topic, even if their main feature is their confidence (oddly enough such writers have an enormous following). For many of us the sad truth is, that we only master each our own little corners of this vast topic. When we have displayed this knowledge in a too numerous number of permutations, then we stop posting regularly. We don't even reply to questions right in the centers of our small fields of knowledge, as it all is in the archives. If we are not one of the eternally helpful souls, which this fortunately also features.

Summing up: This board still should be active in accumulating knowledge on the topic of tubas. But this board also would benefit very much from a parallel database, which could help weeding out the redundant postings. However running, editing, and updating such database would be something of a task.

We should welcome any competent and reasonably non-biased person taking this task upon him-/herself.

Klaus,
who happily will work in his own small corner

Follow Ups: