Re: Re: Re: Re: TubaEuph Prof: gigs: Must be a Tubist??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by curious on November 08, 2003 at 12:52:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: TubaEuph Prof: gigs: Must be a Tubist?? posted by AG... on November 08, 2003 at 12:03:00:

I agree with your assessment of the administration perspective, and didn't mean to suggest those were "your" views.

I know I'm being idealistic and stubborn, but I just don't understand how xyz Universty can have the official or unofficial position that euphonium "isn't important enough" to have a qualified instructor, which is NOT to say that many tubists aren't great euph teachers -- they are. Again, if a school offers a performance major in a given instrument, they obviously expect that any performance major anticipates seeking employment as a performer. So, to me that means that the university is obligated to provide the resources and support necessary to give that student the same opportunity as those majoring in other instruments, which certainly would include an expert performer on the instrument.

A preposterous example as food for thought:
XYZ University announces an opening for assistant professor of violin. Duties include teaching applied violin and 'cello.

Would a euphonium performance major have any leg to stand on if he/she were to challenge a university that did not have a euphonium instructor? I wonder...

Follow Ups: