Re: Reality Check

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Non-Anon Ohioan on November 09, 2003 at 14:51:32:

In Reply to: Reality Check posted by Anonymous Ohioan on November 09, 2003 at 12:49:58:

Hi,

Wow, I read your post and thought maybe I was sleepwalking earlier and left a message on here I didn't know about... (0;

Let me give you some input and opinion on your statements. I am (probably) a little older than you are, (maybe a lot older!), and at a different point in my education, but I hopefully can offer you some insight.

1. I too have a teacher that lives far away. I also see him rarely, but when I do, I take full advantage (or plan to when I get the chance to start being a "regular.") As someone else mentioned, record your lessons, if you have your teacher's permission. I wish I had done that for years now! If you have tried other teachers in your area and they do not jive with you, that's one thing... but have you investigated locally for someone that might be able to see you more often? You might still continue with your current teacher since it sounds like he is a winner. Sometimes it helps to have a "coach."

2. As a teacher myself, I think you might be mistaken that your teacher sees your playing as "more than it is," I could be wrong. You'd be surprised. You can definitely still learn from this teacher by applying what he says in the lessons you do have, but you have to learn to monitor your progress on your own. When I play, I can just imagine what some of my teachers would say to me about what I just played... I know what they would have liked, and what they would have criticized.... this takes maturity as a student, and it takes studying with one long enough to learn his/her likes and pedagogical techniques, but it can help. Learn to be your own teacher in the down times.

3. You may sound awful to yourself, but be careful... be critical, but recognize the positive aspects of your playing as well as the negative. From what you say you must see some good in your playing, just remember: don't be too negative! It can and will set you back seriously in all aspects of life! (I have been there, done that!)

To help yourself, take your etude books and "assign" yourself one a week from each book. This is what I do. Strive to be as technically and musically perfect as you can. When you return to your teacher, you can offer him a selection of what you have learned. He'll then be able to critique you accordingly.

You are very lucky to have a teacher, far away or not, that is willing to give you his time. Do your best, try to stay positive, and always make sure to keep the progress you are making in check. If you see this teacher as great for you, you can make it work!

Best of luck! You can email if you have questions about anything I said.
-Lisa (0:

Follow Ups: