Re: sousaphones: Conn 20K vs. King...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on November 10, 2003 at 15:38:44:

In Reply to: sousaphones: Conn 20K vs. King... posted by survey on November 10, 2003 at 14:18:29:

Conn 20K's are the best instruments out there that have a nice round sound. They project well and have a great low register. With that being said...

The King is much more portable, better in tune and has better response. Those factors are more important than the actual sound being output, especially because you will more than likely have multiple players and intonation is far more important than "depth of sound".

Reasons why the King makes sense:

1. Lighter, more portable (around 7 lbs less), better for complicated drill, etc.

2. Better intonation, especially in the money area from F in the staff to the F two octaves below.

3. A little brighter sound. This helps in trying to make articulation and rhythms sound more precise.

4. Just as rugged for less money.

5. Short action Conn valves are not any quicker than the King valves. In fact the King valves weigh less and move a lot easier in my experience. In addition, the .687 bore of the King helps to keep the stroke fairly short anyhow.

6. The Kings, because of better overall response, intonation, and .687 bore, make for a much easier crossover instrument for other players. The weight also aids in this factor.

As stated earlier, I enjoy the opportunities I have had to play Conn 20K's. However, they would be if I were the only guy playing the bass part. Mainly because the intonation takes a lot of work and the sound is so much denser in overtones than the King.

Picking the King over the Conn the the same Ideology of choosing a Mirafone 186 over a huge MW Fafner or Rudy Meinl 5/4 for general band purposes. The 20K was built for professionals at the time who had the ability to manage those beasts. Sticking a 6/4 sousaphone on a 14/15 yo Freshman seems to be a lot of challenge. In fact sticking a 6/4 anything on most any non-pro is going to take a good bit of adjustment from the player.

Matt G
10+(???) years of sousa playing.
Bacholor's of Music Education Degree Recipient, but not a Band Director.
Played the sousaphone professionally at a certain theme park.
Can be contacted at above address.

Follow Ups: