Re: brass ensemble music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on November 10, 2003 at 23:38:06:

In Reply to: brass ensemble music posted by David Mills on November 10, 2003 at 13:54:54:

Depending on the level of difficutly and your idea of "etherial":
Here are some of my favorites that fall under that:

David Sampson "Reflections on a Dance" for 444.02 & perc. Difficult and beautiful work. Recorded on Summit Brass CD "American Tribute"

Eric Ewazen "Symphony for Brass" for 343.11 & 2 perc. Awesome work with some beautiful writing. Available from Encore Music. Also recorded on Summit Brass "American Tribute".

Eino Rautavaara "A Requiem in Our Time" for 443.11 timpani and percussion. Out-of-print but I obtained a copy from Robert King who happened to have at least one still in stock.
Recorded by the Millar Brass.

Samual Barber "Mutations from Bach" for 443.01 and timpani. Published by G. Schirmer.
Also recorded on a Summit Recording "Spirit of Fire" I think, as well as by a HR Brass.

Leo Arnaud "Bugler's Dream" from 'Charge' for 443.01 timpani and percussion. Published by Shawnee Press.

John Cheetham "Keystone Celebration" for 444.02 timpani and percussion. Published by Ludwig Music and recorded by (you guessed it) Summit Brass.

Herbert Haufrecht "Smyphony for Brass and Timpani" for 343.01 and timpani. Out-of-print but may be available from a library or Summit Brass. Oh yea, on Summits' first recording, called Episodes.

Two previously mentioned, the Tomasi and the Zindars are also good. The Tomasi is a much more grand and heavy work. Earl Zindars "The Brass Square" (Robert King)is not as complex or as long but is a good work and easier to put togehter than most the ones listed. It is also fun to play and hear as well as pretty cheap to buy.

IMHO, the most etherial would be the Sampson, the Rautavaara, the Haufrecht and the Barber. The Barber is not 10 minutes and the others are probably 12 - 16 minutes.

I know there are more but that is all that is I can pull out of my head at the moment.

Good luck,

Michael Grant
Michigan Chamber Brass
Michigan

Follow Ups: