Re: Concerto for Tuba and Band ? help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on November 11, 2003 at 15:56:48:

In Reply to: Concerto for Tuba and Band ? help posted by Podd Man on November 10, 2003 at 22:59:07:

"A Touch of Tuba" by Art Dedrick does have a band arrangement and could be what you are looking for. The band parts are probably a grade 3 and the tuba part is fun and certainly not too hard. It swings a little and is very easy to listen to. Very much in tune with a pops concert. There is an ossia part on the cadenza that allows you to go above the staff a little and it can be played by most any good HS student. It is available from Pepper music at jwpepper.com.

Someone also mentioned the Bencriscuto(sp.) which would also work and has an optional cut that takes the piece from the original 11 mins to about 8. It requires lots of double tonguing on your part and a lot of counting on the band's part. But enjoyable. Pepper should have that as well.

More stuff...

Easy:
Yuba Plays the Rumba on the Tuba...not hard, but cute. If you want this one, I have the parts to it. (Email me for them)

The Egotistical Elephant - cute.

Medium:
Suite for Tuba - Haddad...if you played a portion of it, that might be ok. The outer movements are fast...the first movement makes a more complete work, but all the arpeggio writing that was originally intended for the piano's right hand is now in the clarinets and the flutes and really doesn't work well. The outer movement has a cadenza and is fun to play with a shifting meter.

More difficult:
Clarke solos like "Bride of the Waves" or "From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific" work well because they are flashy. The band parts are about a grade 4 in difficulty.

These are a few that come off the top of my head. Good luck in whatever you do.

Mark

Follow Ups: