Re: sousaphones: Conn 20K vs. King...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on November 11, 2003 at 20:43:42:

In Reply to: sousaphones: Conn 20K vs. King... posted by survey on November 10, 2003 at 14:18:29:

I am shocked at the general bias towards the Kings. The high school band camp I have worked has a line of Kings and 2 Conn 20K's. I have played both back to back the past two summers and there is NO COMPARISON in the sound when a lot of air is being moved. Intonation on either horn is only as good as the player. The Kings have a much smaller sound and eventually back up. The Conn's have a huge, deep sound with unlimited volume potential that rivals a $$$ orchestral 6/4 horn. After playing the 20K my personal 2145 CC sounds like a euphonium. Yes, the 20K's are heavier and bigger but I am sure an average sized high school student in reasonable shape could handle one - I am only 5'7 and 165. However, the kids must know how to play and have good breath support to make a noticeable difference - large quantites of slow (think warm) air. Put a thin airstream with no support in either horn and they amazingly sound similar. GIGO.

Marty Neilan, music ed major, sousaphone tech for Cleveland, TN High School band camp for last two years, playing tuba for 23 years (-23? man, I am starting to get OLD)

Follow Ups: