Re: Another UPS problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on November 11, 2003 at 21:56:12:

In Reply to: Another UPS problem posted by James on November 10, 2003 at 22:04:08:

I am not intending to slam James but we need to remember that UPS' focus is on being a small package carrier - that's all they want and ever intend to do. The company I work with spends many hours having packaging designed so that we can throw it across the warehouse fully loaded without the contents being damaged. That is basically UPS' test for packaging.

A better way to consider shipping is to find a box manufacturer in your city (not the UPS store) and ask them for a box to ship a tuba - it shouldn't cost more than $5. Pack the tuba in a ton of bubble wrap (usually available from the box folks), then call an LTL freight carrier like Fedex Freight (formerly Roadway Express) SAIA motor freight, Yellow Freight and have them ship it for you. Insurance and claims aren't half the hassle of UPS and if you can strap the box to a pallet no human will have to slig the bx around. Tarrif rates for a pallet from NYC to LA are around $110.

Just a thought as I get ready to spend all day tomorrow walking through a warehouse.

Follow Ups: