Re: Hirsbrunner Euphonium vs. Willson/Besson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Golson on November 12, 2003 at 13:37:31:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner Euphonium vs. Willson/Besson posted by Mike on November 12, 2003 at 12:33:30:

Hi, Mike:

I'll weigh in with my drachma's worth. I own a Besson Sov. and have played it for years, and played the Willson 2900 for 4 years in grad school. I have tested the Hirsbrunner numerous times at Midwest, but certainly not the amount of time to really go into detailed critique re: the instrument. My observation is that depending on what Besson you are considering (mine is a 15 year old Sovereign) they can be a great choice. The 2900 is probably the industry favorite by most pro or aspiring players for its consistency of range, response, and flow. The Hirsbrunner, upon playing, was fantastic, but there were some areas where I felt my response and "speakability" in the 2900 was superior. Upper register/tessitura are about the same, which is very good. I have played the Yammie 642 in public performance, and enjoyed it very much. The 842 is also a fantastic choice.

I suppose the question is--what about your current playing demands a horn switch? For me, a recent concerto appearance answered the question--my ole Besson just couldn't hack Symphonic Variants like the 642. I didn't have a Willson at hand, but would have chosen it first.

All that rambling to say this--if you have a good answer to "why switch?" and reasons to point to definite improvement and progress, run with it. If it's just to get something new, think hard and long first. All three brands are a good bit of money. Probably also worth budgeting the airfare into the purchase to one of the comprehensive brass sellers (Baltimore Brass, Custom, WWBW, Dillons, etc.) and taking some recording equipment along if you can. Then, sheet music in hand, play all your favorite and polished licks, including stuff like Blaz or Arban. Compare them objectively and choose.

FWIW--
Phil Golson
UW-La Crosse

Follow Ups: