Listening...instead of Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tubist on November 13, 2003 at 21:23:14:

Ok, I have to get this off my chest. I had the opportunity to hear a fantastic chamber ensemble. The problem is, there was no tuba in it, AND though they were making good music, I was antsy (sp?)

Does anyone else have the feeling when they are sitting in the audience of some concert, they would much rather be playing? Listening is sometimes hard for me. The group could be world class, and the piece could be Mozart, but it is hard to get emotionally involved if there isn't tuba.

I enjoy a good orchestra, especially if it is a good tuba piece/player. But even if I am sitting in a concert, where I am playing, say...Tchaikovsky #4, I play the first movement, and then, I get fidgety while the two middle movements go by (sans tuba) then I get to play again in the 4th movement, and I am happy again.

I know this sound narrow minded, and I DO enjoy music that doesn't have tuba. However, I would much rather listen to something with tuba. Also, I would much rather be playing, instead of listening. To the point of just not being able to sit still, or I (blushing here) get sleepy.

Am I the only one out there who thinks this or feels this most of the time?

Tell me how you feel about this...

Follow Ups: