Re: Bruce Broughton Tuba Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 14, 2003 at 21:21:10:

In Reply to: Bruce Broughton Tuba Concerto posted by Jim Self on November 14, 2003 at 15:07:21:

Outstanding news! The only problem with the original instrumentation (for those of us in ROPA member orchestras and the like) it that it specifically uses all of the extra players that are usually only on Per Service contracts. This means that very few ROPA managements will spend all of that money for a 15 minute tuba piece . . . an unfortunate economic reality.

Due to instrumentation/contractual requirements, when I was asked to play Guest Soloist for my group, we had to do the VW instead, as that only required the services of two non-core players, whereas the Broughton required 11 non-salaried musicians to be hired for that one piece. And that just ain't happenin' here in Third World America.

Would you be so kind as to post the new instrumentation for us here?

Also, will it be available for purchase or only for hire? It would be really great to own this accompaniment, as some opportunities to play it have disappeared due to the combined rental fee, extra player fees, and "Primary Soloist" fee incurred by the accompanying ensemble. (This has happened at least three times in the last few years in ROPA groups which, due to financial concerns, changed the solo or ditched opportunity for the tubist altogether.) [The VW also really ought to be available for purchase too, but that is a whole different can of worms that I would rather not open tonight.]

Thanks for the great news! I look forward to getting to play this new edition someday, and am equally excited about hearing it played by an ICSOM orchestra as well.

Wade "who will be pointing this information out to my MD at rehearsal break on Monday" Rackley

Follow Ups: