Re: Re: Re: Re: HB euph...no takers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on November 14, 2003 at 21:26:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: HB euph...no takers posted by Yahoo sucks on November 14, 2003 at 20:29:40:

Because you will never listen!

I has been told several times, by me and by at least one other tubenetter, that some browsers have odd quirks:

When you click one of my links (or paste it into the address line), you will be prompted to join the group or to confirm your password. You do so, and then these browsers invariably give some error report or tell, you have no access to that group.

What to do to get around that bad browser programming?

After having done the above procedures you shall go back to the original link and activate it by clicking or pasting it. And Voila! You are in (if you have confirmed your Yahoo profile; if not you will be prompted)

The only browser not having that quirk which I have come around is Explorer 5.1 for the Mac. Older IE's and Netscape suffer from that fault.

Considering that my groups have 1700+ members (equalling around 700 real persons), I received very few complaints. Less than 25.

Most can be solved by following the above procedure.

One or two have refused to activate their own Yahoo profile. That is a very simple procedure, which you are prompted through, when you work from a new profile for the first time. I can see that from the membership list.

One has an extra tight firewall, which I cannot help out with.

Everything of course would be easier, if I could afford a professionally maintained site with 1GB+ of server space. But that is beyond my means.

I could list quite a number of potential improvements in the Yahoo system. Yet I consider Yahoo having a major role in the way we communicate nowadays.

As a member, mostly lurking, of a large number of groups, I have learned, that some really large groups, which are not based on a university or a company server, have found their home on Yahoo.

I have seen one of these groups leave Yahoo in favour of a competing company which has made that list loose a lot of activity.

And when an octogenarian in the Australian outback can find out how to download some of my arrangements for the recorder ensemble, which he runs to enjoy the company of several ladies of his own age, then Yahoo cannot be too difficult.

Even the TubeNet can be had on Yahoo, which is my main way of reading this board.

A long rant. I probably was caught on the wrong foot (which now is the right one).

Klaus

(Joe, if you send me the address from which you want to sign up, I will see what I do for you, but I cannot do that for everybody just for lack of time)

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterPublicPhotosIII/files/
(Membership is open for all)

Follow Ups: