Re: antique 4 valve king

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 17, 2003 at 15:39:08:

In Reply to: antique 4 valve king posted by Alfred on November 17, 2003 at 15:19:13:

If the balance of your description is accurate, then the inside of the bell is most likely a wash of gold over the silver. This was a common option back then. I have never seen a silver tuba with a brass bell interior.

Of course, it could have been all-silver that was stripped of the plating, but that would be pretty odd. I remember that the Crossmen Drum and Bugle Corps had a set of 70 or so brass instruments that were chrome plated and later had had the bell interiors buffed to death down to the bare brass. The bell interiors were then lacquered, according to one of the players that I asked about this, c. 1981. That is the only case that I have seen of this. But my experience is in no way proof about your tuba.

Regardless, I would be willing to bet that your H.N. White tuba has gold over silver on the inside of the bell.

And I would not be willing to hazard a bet on the value without being able to play and examine the tuba. And most of us here at TubeNet will only be qualified to value it as a workaday "player", rather than a "displayer" from a collection.

Sorry that I can't help to determine its value, but I thought that I ought to chime in about your description.

Wade "gold wash bells look great" Rackley

Follow Ups: