Re: Becoming a Doubler...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bonde on November 19, 2003 at 18:26:36:

In Reply to: Becoming a Doubler... posted by Cale Self on November 18, 2003 at 14:42:55:

Hi,

I have "doubled" on different keyed tubas for many years - between CC/BBb (big horns) and F for ensemble work and an old Eb sousa just for screwing around. What has helped me is playing a horn consistently in a certain type of music or group: for example, I always play F in a brass quintet - I'm in the "quintet mode." I play the big bass in a full band. If you are playing the smaller horn for a reason (solo, quintet etc,) be consistent. Once you are comfortable you may be able to switch around more easily. At least this worked for me.

One other thought, while all "tubas",... they are in some respects very different instruments. If you are used to playing a Kaiser sized BBb, suddenly switching to a quirky F (there's a reason they have lots of extra valves) may feel very strange - even forgetting about the different fingerings. It just takes abit of getting used to, a couple of weeks and you'll be surprised at your improvement in just getting used to that new horn!

Best regards

Bonde

Follow Ups: