Re: Re: Re: When did you buy yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 20, 2003 at 11:54:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: When did you buy yours? posted by Jim on November 19, 2003 at 22:36:28:

I was waiting for someone to make a comment like this, heh, heh.

If you compare the total purchase price on all "ok's" instruments with the sales price of those he sold or traded, I suspect you'll find that he hasn't invested as much as you think. I don't imagine he bought them all at one time!

My net investment in all my instruments is maybe $16,000, and I think I am fortunate enough to have as good a collection of BBb instruments (for playing purposes) as just about anybody. I know people with far less income who own $25,000 bass boats and $40,000 pickup trucks. I know working-class folks around here who have more invested in deer rifles, and I'd bet there's more than one fly fisherman who has more invested in rods and tackle. My neighbor just spent much more than that for a tractor he wanted but didn't really need. I have a working-class relative who had far, far more invested in Coca-Cola collectibles. What I spent racing cars fresh out of college far exceeds what I've spent on tubas--talk about a hole in the ground in which to throw money! And I did that on a paycheck that even musicians would sneer at.

In all the above cases, the purchases were made by people in their late 20's at least, but more likely in their 30's and 40's. Buying expensive stuff is within the capabilities of most Americans who work; it just takes a little patience and a little planning. I'm not talking about pros who have to get the stuff right away to compete--but their purchase can be a business decision and handled in a business-like way (such as trading down to make ends meet if the gig doesn't happen).

Rick "who scrimped and traded his way up to a Miraphone until later in life" Denney

Follow Ups: