MW 45 slp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ivan Giddings on November 21, 2003 at 12:02:36:

Okay here is an F tuba question. I have my MW 45 Slp completely taken apart. Every last piece unsoldered, and sitting in my shop. I have in the past taken apart other tubas, and when I put them back together they always play better. I have quite a few ideas of what to do to make a horn play better. Good joints, no solder blobs, not forced together, along with a few other tricks that seem to help the horn respond better, and play easier.

Now the question, if you had a tuba in pieces like the MW 45slp. What would you do while putting it back togather, that may help it's response etc...

I'm currently thinking about putting the 5th valve in line with the 4th to make it a dependent 5th. I actually took a 5th valve off my CC tuba, and it made a world of difference.

Also i have found that using different braces, in different places really changes the playability.

I will put a dillion AGR on the horn. Along with using a brace to lift the lead pipe off the bell.

I will use a hollow brace to connect the bell to the body of the horn. This will help with the bell vibrating mostly in the low regester

All of the slides will be turned into inner outer slides like pro trombones do on their tunning slides. basically the same pieces just put together so the air flow has the fewest things to hit onthe way through. I've done this to the main tuning slide on my CC and that really smoothed out the whole range. The horn played more consistent throught the ranges.

And after this I'm not sure. maybet a few other things, but i would first like to hear from other BBS techs etc... that have done things specifically with the MW 45 slp, that they felt helped the instrument play more consitent etc..

Take care

Ivan Giddings

Follow Ups: